Installing Oracle 11gR2 on RHEL 5(running on Oracle VirtualBox)
January 21, 2012
Posted by on
Finally completed installing Oracle database 11gR2(220.127.116.11.0) on a VirtualBox virtual machine running RHEL 5 after having postponed it for a number of times. I followed this document by Zahid Karim but there were some minor differences since his was a RHEL 5.5 system while mine is RHEL 5. Below are some notes regarding my installation process:
1. The RHEL 5 virtual machine was created with 20GB storage and 1.5GB memory
2. The allocations for the swap space and various partitions:
swap – 2250 MB
/tmp – 2048 MB
/boot – 100 MB
/root – 7168 MB
/u01 – 7168 MB
The minimum recommended space required in /tmp is 1GB. But note that the installer will check for 1GB available space in /tmp only after it is invoked, by which time the OS and the installer itself has used more than 300MB of space in that partition. This factor should be taken into consideration while creating the partition.
3. Pre-requisite packages elfutils-libelf-devel-0.125-3.el5.i386.rpm and elfutils-libelf-devel-static-0.125-3.el5.i386.rpm are dependent on each other and hence have to be installed together
[root@db11gr2 Server]# rpm -Uvih elfutils-libelf-devel-0.125-3.el5.i386.rpm elfutils-libelf-devel-static-0.125-3.el5.i386.rpm
warning: elfutils-libelf-devel-0.125-3.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186
4. The version of the sysstat package in RHEL 5 is of a lower version. Had to download and install the minimum required version, sysstat-7.0.2-1.el5.i386.rpm.
5. Other packages whose higher versions has to be installed are:
glibc-headers-2.5-24.i386.rpm, glibc-devel-2.5-24.i386.rpm, glibc-common-2.5-24.i386.rpm, glibc-2.5-24.i386.rpm. These are dependent on each other and had to be installed in the same way as the elfutils* packages in step#3.
PS: The 10g client works fine with a 11g server.